I prefer to eat something before my weekend runs. I know a lot of runners don’t like to eat beforehand, but I find I wake up hungry enough that I need some fuel to keep me going. However, running with food in my gut can create its own problems, so I developed this breakfast to give me a balanced meal that is easily digested. I have it with my coffee, wait for my digestive system to tell me it’s ready, and head out for my run.
All-in-One-Bowl Oat Bran and Wheat Porridge
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 whole egg plus 6 Tbs. egg whites (2 large whites), or two large eggs
- In a microwave-safe glass measuring cup, bring to a boil (2 min. in my microwave): ½ cup soy milk (or dairy, if you prefer) plus ¾ cup water
- Slowly pour the hot liquid into the egg mixture, whisking the entire time. This tempers the egg and keeps it from becoming scrambled eggs.
- Turn on the heat to medium under the egg mixture. When it returns to a near boil, lower the heat and whisk in, 2 Tbs. Cream of Wheat or other wheat farina product, and 3 Tbs. oat bran.
- Cook at a slow simmer stirring frequently until thick, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in a sprinkle of cinnamon, 1-2 Tbs. raisins, 1 Tbs. of peanut butter, and 1 cup other fruit as desired (chopped apple, banana, peaches, etc.). Heat through.
- To serve, pour it all into a large bowl, plop on top ½ cup or so of plain Greek yogurt and sprinkle with a little brown sugar.